Monday, March 30, 2015

#SoL15 Day 30: automatic writing

André Masson. Automatic Drawing. (1924). 
Ink on paper, 914 × 818" (23.5 × 20.6 cm). 
Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Missed slicing yesterday when sleep caught up with me at 8 pm. Today it took me down in the around 4 pm in the afternoon: I was up again at 8 pm. There is a odd and annoying symmetry to that. I may (am) not in the mood to write but don't want to miss the final days. That's part of the writing challenge too, isn't it? Being in the mood doesn't matter. Write on anyway. Now if I could only manage writing in my sleep — a practical application of Surrealist automatic writing
"Pure psychic automatism" was how André Breton defined surrealism, and while the definition has proved capable of significant expansion, automatism remains of prime importance in the movement. 
In 1919 Breton and Philippe Soupault wrote the first automatic book, Les Champs Magnétiques, while The Automatic Message (1933) was one of Breton's significant theoretical works about automatism.
 
National Adjunct Walkout Day dominated February. Marching through SoL was a (perhaps therapeutic) change of pace. Since April is National Poetry Month, automatic writing (even if I still can't manage posting in my sleep) makes a suitable segue from March blogging and word slicing to April poetry.

So much for make up posts unless I can manage one big lollapalooza catch-all post tomorrow
Slice of LIfe I am participating in the March Slice of Life Challenge: trying to blog a slice a day for all of March.  Thank you, Two Writing Teachers! Visit the site to read some slices

2 comments:

  1. I blogged today too, but missed the Midnight Eastern deadline; it's only 10 PM here and I'm finishing up quarter grades. Bummer. But I still wrote.

    Surrealism. I like it. Where did you find the red NPM poster?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head - the challenge is to work through the hard parts of not wanting to write. Good job, sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete