Tuesday, March 1, 2016

in medias res: my office, the couch, ready for #SOL16, #openabe, #NRC01PL & sundry projects

No, it's nothing like the picture. Then again I'm Not Really Working  although not exactly not-working either.

❤️Feng Shui                                                          for Home-Office:

                  Feng Shui for Home Office in Room Corner

I don't need an office to work (or not-work) from home. I do have one though: my couch. Office equipment and devices? No desk or chair, the only equipment a Chromebook, sans externals.

Let me describe my current arrangement and add approximate found images now, real ones later when I have some. Until then, just appreciate the ironies because. Searching "couch office" doesn't come up with much. Just office furniture, which doesn't look at all like my office couch

My 'office' is the left end of a short couch near the window corner of my small living room in Yuma Housing Authority's High Plains Manor. Telephone, small cabinet (two drawers and a file drawer with no file folders in it) and side table with drawer are to my left, all within reach. A bed reading pillow provides needed extra back support. For a desk, the laptop is on a lightweight adjustable tray table. I work with my feet up because of chronic ankle swelling. The lightweight folding camp stool that I carry with me on walks  cushion added, two on days when my feet need more elevation  doubles as a footstool.
I already knew that adjunct faculty make do with minimal and often unusual office arrangements  cars, closets, hallways, rolling offices. They are not the only ones. Looking for images to illustrate this post, I'm coming across more unusual office configurations  a symptom of our times. There's another post here  or a series of them.

Then there's this one: Why people are swapping the corner office for a nook in a coffee shop

My couch and corner look nothing like this.

So what do I do here? That's what the hashtags in the subject line are about  two online courses (#openabe and #NRC01P), this #SOL16 blogging challenge, other online projects — and another post.  The courses are totally separate but connected. Blogging about them together will make those connections more transparent.

SOL  Challenges

7 comments:

  1. Your office sounds like mine - only my "office" is a chair in my bedroom. It just shows that we can write anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are a lot of "offices" like ours ~ and unconventional classrooms that don't get recognized as such.

      Delete
  2. You write, letting me see how it's the perfect corner. I'd love to come by and visit! Thank you!

    -Veronica
    illgiveyouallthisandmore.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A confession: after posting the link to Two Writing Teachers to get it in on time (barely), I went back and wrote more, added images. Even so, I still forgot to add the part about the cat sitting on the back of the sofa.

      Delete
  3. I love your office, but I really want more information and photo of said cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen the actual couch corner office yet -- or bookshelves and pictures. I'm finally breaking down and getting a digital camera -- no need for a mobile. I'm not finding the local pictures I want and keep forgetting to get Pilar to take some with her mobile. Besides, if I take my own, I'll get the ones I want.

      Delete
    2. PS said cream and white cat is now sitting on a folded up purple fleecy throw covering the the back of an over-stuffed chair backed up to windows looking out on what would be the back yard area for this wing of the unit. Hard to describe -- maybe I can find a sketch of the layout.

      Delete