Thursday, March 3, 2016

#sol16 Day 3: meanderings, digital flȃnerie

today's experiment in slicing is exploring the SOLSC slicer as digital flȃneuse: ongoing observations, links, images as the day goes along. A continuously interrupted narrative of my day ~ more shreds than slices ~ making multitasking work for me.

I curate many interests. Along the way, I encounter links, some from searches others by chance. I start with either Diigo or OneTab. The latter spares me having too many windows open at the same time. As topic bundles fill up, I save and bookmark them to Diigo. Even so, the bundles, collections or random accumulations, get ahead of me. This morning I started my curating day on the processing end
Per Formo, untitled, digital image for print on canvas, 2012, exhibited at DRIFT: Flânerie in Contemporary Art, curated by Dr Judith Duquemin and Anke Stäcker

Last night I saved and bookmarked a flȃnerie collection. This morning I shall start another, this one digital flȃnerie. Although I already have several related blogs, pieds à cyberspace for the digital flȃneuse, browsing and bookmarking are better suited to meandering and more characteristic of the flȃneur, whether strolling the streets or surfing the net.

So where else have I been wandering? Do I have a routine? Rounding up the usual suspects: 750Words for daily writing just to write -- including to a #2do2day reminder note, social media, email, newsletters, news, InoReader, etc. The elements vary little unless I have an outing or errand but the "routine" is rarely the same one day to another. Along the way, I always encounter more links to save/savor on all of them.

It's a sunny not a rainy day here in Yuma, but strolling art on the internet, I can find a rainy one.


...and streets anywhere from the comfort of my couch-office.

Cornelia Otis Skinner described the flȃneur as a "deliberately aimless pedestrian, unencumbered by any obligation or sense of urgency, who...wastes nothing, including his time which he spends with the leisurely discrimination of a gourmet, savoring the multiple flavors of his city" (1962). That also fits (or can be adapted to) the engaged and curiosity-driven retiree "working" online. I'm all for chucking "working," "multitasking" for "digital flȃnerie" ~ and 'curation" for "leisurely discrimination" and "savoring."

By contrast, this is the view from my front door, what I see from my couch-office:


That's looking to the right. The view to the left (and the cat looking at it from her chair back window perch) will have to wait for the digital camera.


#TWT's March #sol16 SOLSC

No comments:

Post a Comment