Also posted at Harbor Homes LLC on the blog, Haven
★* Happy New Year *★* ˛. _██_*.。*./ ♥ / .˛* .˛。.˛.*.★*
For Haitians, the day was more than just the start of another year: it is also their Independence Day. Like many holidays, this one comes with its own special dish, joumou or pumpkin soup, which is poignantly symbolic of freedom to Haitians.
1 lb.cubed beef stew meat2 lb. pumpkin (winter squash)1 lb. cabbage sliced, chopped3 carrots peeled and sliced2 stalks celery sliced and cut,3 quarts water (more later if needed)1 large onion cubed6 medium potatoes1 lb. malanga peeled and cubed or equivalent3 medium sized turnips, peeled and cubed2 limes cut in half and juiced1/4 lb vermicelli, macaroni broken short4 garlic cloves, 2 sliced scallions, 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, all grinded or pounded1 scotch bonnet pepper, whole with stem.(hot)
- Clean the meat with hot water and lemon juice and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the spice paste and let marinated for at least an hour.
- Bring water to boil in stockpot, add meat and hot pepper, cover the pot and let cook until tender (about 1 ½- 2 hrs)
- Add carrots and pumpkin to the tendered meat and continue cooking for 20 minutes
- When pumpkin gets soft, remove and puree it in blender but, discard the chile pepper. Add the puree back into the pot.
- Add the potatoes, celery, turnips, malanga cubes to the soup, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add cabbage and cook for another 20 minutes. Add water if necessary because you don't want the soup to be too thick.
- Continue boiling until meat is tender and vegetables are cooked (1/2 hour).
- Add vermicelli and macaroni or pasta and continue cooking until tender.
- Taste and add seasoning at will, salt or hot pepper. Pour in lime juice and stir.
- Turn off the heat, cover pot and let sit until ready to serve in medium size bowl. Put on the side a beautiful basket of sliced bread for 6 persons.