Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The eyes have it: #IWD2017 on #sol17 Day 8


…#daywithoutawoman was my first slice choice. With no job to walk off and no local marches, I would adapt, make my own version. Doing the digital (social media signal boosting and blogging), wearing red, not buying anything, with exceptions for small, women- and minority-owned businesses. So far, so good, but there's a notable caveat. 

I had a last minute afternoon appointment for an eye exam, not unexpected just sooner than I was sure it would be. The appointment was important because I suspected developing cataracts. So I put on a red top and went. My suspicions were bang on. The right eye is especially bad and scheduled for surgery at the earliest possible date.

After the very thorough exam, my daughter took me to an early dinner at Paper Moon, a local restaurant owned and run by two women. Remember, I was wearing red.

Dilated eyes make typing a challenge and #sol17 blogging even more challenging. A few hours rest with the lights off helped some. Such a good excuse for slicing late and short won't come along again soon.

…at least not for a few weeks. My cataract surgery is scheduled for Friday March 21st. At least I will have more lead time.



This blog post is for the March 2017 Slice of Life challenge, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. Slicers write all through March, a post a day, every day of the month. We read each others' posts and engage in extended written conversations commenting on them. I've blogged slices intermittently since 2014 but never completed a March challenge. May this be the year!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your surgery and so glad you were able to type your post with dilated eyes and join the community today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'll have some time to think ahead. I can write posts in advance and schedule them to post on the days my vision will be most hors de combat -- besides, it's one eye at a time and the least useful one at that.

      Then there's the new slicer "wagoneering."Cutting myself slack posting will free me up for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Love the new "late night slicer" badge. Wear it (and your red) proudly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha...as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to use it. "Late night slicer" should have its own C & W song.

      Most of my #daywithoutawoman action went down on other pages and platforms, but I'll share this one on the Yuma community page. As red (in other ways) as Yuma and the Manor are, they can use reminding that not everyone is.

      Delete
  3. You will be so glad you are having the surgery. Improved seeing is a really good thing! Good for you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Vanessa, for sharing and for your lovely comments on my blog. I am just trying to figure out how to be involved in this group, as it's my first time.

    (On Wednesday I commented on several posts, and none made it to their destinations. It might have been an Internet issue, but why didn't I have a warning that they weren't going? Anyway, that sounds like a dog ate my homework excuse. Anyway, that's why I'm here two days late.)

    Thanks for your post. It is a nice slice to see what was happening to you today. That red stove in the restaurant makes a beautiful composition. It jumps out even more on this "red" day.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete