Wednesday, March 28, 2018

adventures in archiving 2: making the sausage #sol18

…Otto von Bismark once said that laws are like sausages: it's better not to see them being made.  Many internet users feel the same about tech, social media platforms and sharing tools. You can tell by the glazed look in their eyes when you try to explain steps in a process or answer a question they have asked. 


That bring me back to how I process  links I've been collecting, picking up from yesterday's post:
If I can't find that information again, along with related earlier pages that show patterns, whether of change or repetition, then what was the point of saving. My other goal with processing is to clear out links and send them to the cloud faster than I collect them. I'm not doing so well with that part....I was also going to describe processing but my concentration ran out before I could get to it.  
Here's the super short version (and a tentative first draft of prototyping): I collect and aggregate with OneTab, save collections as permalink, tag and save to Diigo, subscribe tag feeds to  InoReader to archive them with access to array of sharing/online publishing options.

The image is from "Expose the Sausage Making" at Kevin Murphy's blog Practical Applications of Social Media, Digital Marketing and Life. The post also turned out to be relevant, which happens  regularly on image searches:
 I say lets not only show them the sausage making, lets give them a factory tour and show them where we source the ingredients....Being transparent is also a way to make sure your processes and methods are solid. If you can’t show the sausage making, then maybe its time to clean up the factory. 
I agree on both points but also want my collections to public, accessible and shareable as well showing anyone interested how it's done so they can try it for themselves, using the same or similar tools themselves in whatever configuration suits them.

OneTab

…is a handy aggregating tool, closes multiple open browser windows to links on a single page, rinse and repeat to close and save more to the same page, name collections, drop and drag to organize; save bundles to permalink (which can then be saved with tags to Diigo). This also forestalls browser crashes from having too many windows open and speeds up processing on Chrome.  More...

Diigo features and tools

…to file, cross-file and search by tag by rss, widgets, linkrolls (example in Reading Room), sharing tools -- posting to blogs (imo format needs editing); notes (which could be used like blog posts); email to Diigo, groups (I'm in some but haven't used them much); outliner (haven't tried it but others swear by it). Check out the Diigo blog. Every Diigo tag generates an rss feed that you can subscribe to the feed reader of your choice.  Mine is InoReader.

InoReader  

…has a number of additional features I use in sausage making such as tag and folder feeds, save pages, html clips, bundles, sharing options, mail2tag email links and newsletters to save as pages. Not everyone uses InoReader the same: check out how @OnlineCrsLady Laura Gibbs uses it with Blogger and Google pages as an online course platform.

I use it to save pages and subscribe to blogs, rss enabled sites and Diigo tag feeds to the reader topic folders. When sites obstruct my intentions by not having rss, I can use mail2tag to put their email newsletters on a tag feed. I'd rather have the rss but sometimes have to settle for what I can get.

Watchman image from Bryan Alexander post, March 19, 2018
From my reader I can follow and share just about everything from one place. Html clips and bundles are good choices for sharing  archives and large, complex collections. Two examples, one of each, show the difference between clips and bundles: Eclectica Collection, a fancied up html clip and Academic Labor bundle. I save customized clips that I expect to reuse on blogs to Diigo; otherwise, clips and rss can be generated from any folder and also displayed in any feed widget




Two Writing Teachers host weekly Tuesday and an annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). This is the 11th one. During March, SOLSC participants write and share daily blog posts, and comment on three or more blog posts by other participants. Read today's (March 28, 2018) blog posts here

No comments:

Post a Comment