Friday, March 2, 2018

after diving in, dogpaddling

… is better than sinking. Here's my #FOECast introduction, posted to the Slack group. There's another 
-- not too different -- for the two week pop-up course that just finished. Back when I was teaching, I updated my bio every semester but haven't since retiring. 
CODENAME FOECAST
Thought I had [introduced myself] but couldn't remember. According to the files archive, I have not. I'm not used to using Slack (so many platforms, so little time) but will work on that. 
I'm a retired community college writing and ABE/GED instructor, and an independent, unaffiliated Guerrilla Educationist (self-titled) now living in Yuma Colorado (but not from here). I'm active locally and online. 
Before retiring I taught at a UNM branch campus and online. Later I set up and ran social media for a national adjunct organization and then for National Adjunct Walkout Day in 2015. Graduate school and teaching college came late. UL Lafayette (English) and UC Davis (Comparative Literature) followed an involuntary 25+ year absence from higher education working a number of jobs not even remotely academic. During that extended gap time, I never stopped reading and learning. As a result, I sometimes feel like an outsider in academic groups -- but *never* in Bryan's FTTE ensemble -- and may on occasion seem prickly or comment in a style that sits cross-wise.   
Anyway, I care deeply about the future of education and am happy to see so many new and familiar faces here
My involvement carries over to the community because,
FOEcast is a new Future of Education and everything community that is as global, cross-sector and systems-level as possible. Its aim is to enable the positive conversations and solutions that learners from K-12, Higher Ed, Vocational Ed and workplaces need so we can thrive no matter what comes our way... and you're invited!
More... and, by extension, Yuma is part of it. Ready or not, welcome to the future.


Welcome to day two  of Two Writing Teachers' 11th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). This is my 4th year to give it a shot. Sometimes I make it; sometimes I don't. If not, I can still join the conversation by commenting on other blog posts and blog on Tuesdays. 

Now that the official slice is in my sidebar, I'll post different images here and vary the copy too. Footers don't have to be canned boilerplate. I'm starting with the late night slicer version because that's what I am. No matter my intentions or how early I start, I invariably post at the last minute, barely under the wire.

2 comments:

  1. And I thought me posting at 11:59 is anomaly. welcome to the club of kindred spirits. :)

    How did you frame the slice? I see http://dogtrax.edublogs.org also frames his slice.

    Let's keep writing & sharing.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba
    https://trivediziemba.edublogs.org


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops this fell below the (monitor screen) fold before I saw the notice -- late moderated and now an even later reply.

      I see many of the same bloggers from last year posting late -- some are schedule glitches from bloggers who usually post earlier; others, time zone victims. Otherwise, there is a distinct late night slice cohort, whether chronic procrastinators or night people.

      Delete