Saturday, March 17, 2018

comments on blog commenting #sol18

…apropos this mid-March commenting challenge. But first, a caveat: because slicers are not my only audience, I need to state what is already obvious to you. The previous one, last weekend, was for the Classroom SOLSC, in which teachers blog with their classes. That challenge was for participants who are not students in classes to post comments on 75 student blogs Saturday through Sunday.



This graphic is a fair representation of blog commenting in general but not accurate for SOLSC and other blogging challenges with a commenting requirement. We differ from the blogging ecosystem in other ways. Good commenting turns blog posts into conversations and builds communities, in this case, a Community of Practice as well, and networks. Then there is the other kind of commenting. Comment spam (which I blogged about here) and trolling are among the most offensive. Blogging to market,  brand and broadcast, even for good causes, are annoyances littering the blogging landscape. No authentic exchanges there. 

But back to this weekend's commenting marathon: I have mixed feelings about the 75 comments requirement and no interest in competition or prize. The best challenges are the ones we set for ourselves. Call this one a commenting boot camp. Whether or not I make the 75 comments, I'll learn a lot along the way -- not to mention the possibility of great conversations. By the way, responding to replies -- continuing a conversation, takes precedent over counting comment coups.



Two Writing Teachers host a weekly Tuesday and an annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). This is the 11th one. During March, SOLSC participants write and share daily blog posts, and comment on three or more blog posts by other participants. Read today's (March 16, 2018) blog posts here

Today's slice image should reflect the comment marathon. Finding one that reflects slicing and commenting is a challenge. Those comment bubbles do look kinda like slices, don't they?

6 comments:

  1. Well-captured thoughts on the comment marathon and I think you've hit on a foundational truth - the authenticity of conversations that really build a community. Yes, we learn a lot here, and that in itself is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Haley, I know blogs are useful for marketing and promotion -- some very good and helpful articles on blogging come from there too --BUT I wish they did not dominate the blogosphere. Quiet blogging communities and active individual blogs are also an increasingly desirable addition or even alternative to social media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying, but the comment marathon has gotten me to visit many different blogs that I haven't gotten to as of yet. Besides that I am reading other bloggers comments and learning how to be a better commentator (I hope.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, preview isn't working. Blogger just ate two attempts to reply. I'd better make this short just in case -- and not preview. Suffice it to say I agree with you, Rita, but am also writing from a longer perspective -- and following many blogs, not just these.

      Delete
  4. I love the graphic you found for this piece. It is a commenting marathon and it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Elena. When I want to write about a specific topic, looking for (and finding) the right image helps me write -- a visual prompt.

      Yes, it is hard. I don't see how it can be managed without taking the kind of commenting shortcuts we're not supposed to use. I won't make it. My eyes gave out early this afternoon and demanded a long break.

      Delete