Sunday, March 18, 2018

On long days, commenting, blogging et altria #sol18

…and the rest of my day at home. Turns out yesterday, what with waking, wind, going out for a Manor activity and far too much time was too long a day. I find myself saying that more often lately. Today was definitely one of those. Increased humidity didn't help either. Long days mean taking the next day completely off -- and a long afternoon nap. I bought a pulse oximeter and monitor oxygen levels regularly, especially after walking, on long days and the day after. More than just physical efforts are affected.

On Low Oxygen Levels
As for commenting -- not limited to the mid-SOLSC commenting marathon -- that includes blog keeping, blogging, online discussion, commenting moderation and online feedback.

Back in the digital "dark ages" before social media, marketing bloggers referred to comments as the gold standard of blogging and goal. Not so different now from likes and clicks operating under the banner of analytics assisted by AI, bots and and automation. The culture and dynamics of online communities are much the same as when Howard Rhengold first wrote about it and The WELL

So what do I know about commenting besides what I've read and researched? I've been blogging since 2006 -- before that listservs, BBs and .alt newsgroups. The first group I ran (created and moderated) was on e-groups, which was later purchased by Yahoo and became Yahoo Groups. Before LMS I used email groups for online teaching in the late 90s. I understand the TWT comment recommendations are meant to facilitate the process, but I won't be changing my existing policies no matter how many nudges.

I ease commenting for my readers by allowing anyone to comment, not requiring word verification, enabling anonymity, and never tracking anyone who comments. My blogs are safe, guaranteed spam and troll-free spaces, because I moderate every comment manually, no exceptions, not even for SOLSC. Moderating matters. I blog for myself and about what interests/matters to me,not numbers or monetization,  If you can't or won't moderate, then don't blog.


Two Writing Teachers host a weekly Tuesday and an annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). This is the 11th one. During March, SOLSC participants write and share daily blog posts, and comment on three or more blog posts by other participants. Read today's (March 18, 2018) blog posts here

I chose yesterday's slice image to reflect the comment marathon. Finding one to reflects slicing and commenting was a challenge I doubt I can repeat. I'll just go with late night slicer again

1 comment: