Monday, March 26, 2018

sleeping, dreams of writing #sol18

I've had a sleeping problem for some time now. Breathing too. Sleep apnea and pulmonary hypertension. How could this not affect writing? I almost didn't register for this SOLSC because of it.


"Sleeping Beauty" surrealist photo art by Adonis Werther
Patchy rural health care with every other month visits by an indifferent circuit rider lung doc who says "no big deal, see you in six months" doesn't help. The CPAP ordered last fall has yet to materialize.
"I feel bad" by A Werther

I do sleep but not well, wake up tired and with low oxygen levels. I must have slept badly last night because I work up with a lower than usual oxygen level and slept more during the day. I'm already feeling feeling tired again. Oxygen levels, although still low, are somewhat higher than usual, whether from rest or a less active day, I couldn't say.

Now if there were a way write and post in my sleep, I'd be home free for the remainder of March. Adaptations of lucid dreaming or automatic writing, even with a surrealistic outcome, are almost but not quite imaginable. Long before voice to text technology, I used to sleepwalk and hold what I was told were coherent, lucid conversations. I wasn't awake at the so don't remember.

At least I am up on comments, ahead even. There is no such thing as too many comments. I do stay awake to write those, but when I run too low to write more, I have to finish the sentence I'm writing and stop for the day no matter where I am.




Two Writing Teachers host a weekly Tuesday and an annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). This is the 11th one. During March, SOLSC participants write and share daily blog posts, and comment on three or more blog posts by other participants. Read today's (March 26, 2018) blog posts here

 

2 comments:

  1. While I wish only an ease to medical and sleep problems, I do have to say that your direct writing style works for me as a "slice of life." I feel like I"m having coffee with you at the kitchen table hearing what's goin' on. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca ~ the right weather helps a lot. It's like being a walking barometer. I appreciate the directness comment -- working on finding my voice again. A few years back I lost it along the way blogging and running social media for an academic labor advocacy organization. Although the persona was compatible and the work meaningful, the voice was not mine.

      Delete