Tuesday, March 13, 2018

March potluck & residents meeting at the Manor, #sol18

Manor Commons, tables ready for March potluck
Aside from morning media online, today was an at home day: the monthly potluck followed by a bi-monthly meeting of the tenants council, known as Happy Homesteaders, at High Plains Manor, Yuma Housing Authority.  I took my cell phone to catch a few shots.  The events were already on the local calendar I maintain for Manor residents. The day before, I posted a reminder on my community Facebook page, Life in the Manor, that included links to an agenda, minutes from the last meeting and a copy of the current by-laws. All will stay online for residents to refer to.


I mention these mundane details because they represent a departure from usual meeting procedures. Only recently have meetings had anything resembling agendas, minutes were taken (badly) but not saved after being read and approved, books were in disorder, by-laws years without revision and generally ignored. In a word, chaos. Meetings are taking a more orderly shape, books reconciled and by-laws revised.  The next step is for residents to read minutes, by laws and other resources relevant to life in public housing. 


Happy Homesteaders, once described as just a social club, now meets -- or nearly so -- the HUD definition of a tenants council, presumably with the rights that go with it.  It's still social too, hence monthly potlucks, cards, movie nights and pizzas.  There's no reason we can't be both. 


Two Writing Teachers host a weekly Tuesday and an annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge  (SOLSC). This is the 11th Annual SOLSC. During March, participants write and share daily blog posts,  and comment on three or more blog posts by other participants. Read today's blog posts here

Yesterday I blogged as Guerrilla Educationist; today, as a resident in a small town senior public housing community. In both roles, I'm still into informing. Educating too.

2 comments:

  1. I serve on our Condo association board and one at church and I've realized over the past few years that I grew up being schooled in "meeting" culture in a way that many of my younger colleagues and my kids have not. Agendas? Minutes? Newsletters? of course in this digital age the boards I serve on are also trying to learn new ways to reach a younger demographic in a meaningful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about growing up "schooled in meeting culture," but that's true. What surprised me in this case was that my co-residents are seniors but still, for the most part, appear unfamiliar with "meeting culture" although I know most belong to church groups. Maybe when someone else manages the structure, it goes unnoticed. Other times I suspect deliberate resistance -- a handful of "old timers" who would rather not have clear rules so they can keep on doing whatever they want.

      Most resist using computers -- and are in denial about smart phones use counting as being connected. I'd like to see more of them at least trying other platforms. Organizations and community projects that cross generations need reach all participants / demographics equally -- and not always on the same platforms. Newsletters fell off (people want them ~ nobody wants to do them), but email ones are growing in popularity. Tiny Letter is free and easy to use.

      Delete