Monday, March 12, 2018

#intersectionality is everywhere #sol18

…but what is intersectionality anyway and how does it fit into a teachers' blogging challenge? It's part of...
Who are you?
...intersectionality is an analysis related to identity, not an identity in itself. Everyone has multiple identities. Systems of hierarchy have been created around our identities, and the combinations (or intersections) of those systems affect how life goes for us. Some of these identities give us a leg up, while others push us a rung down the ladder. The combination of identities can compound (or diminish) advantage or compound (or relieve) harm, and there are perhaps endless variations. The point of intersectional practice is to look at all these possible combinations of privilege and vulnerability, rather than just stopping with the ones that apply to us, whoever we are. (from "How To Do Intersectionality" by Rinku)

...and where do you belong? I've been thinking about other intersections. They play hob with tagging and filing. For example, I have collections on climate and climate justice that intersect with immigration patterns and climate refugees. Women and children are the most affected. Social justice is full of intersections. Looking for images to use in this post and "intersectionality for dummies" (and everyday application at risk of taking flak for appropriation) took me to links that took me to identity, identity mapping and classroom lessons to share with SOLSC  participants who might use it:

A lesson on "Identity and Intersecting Perspectives: Between the World and Me" for grades 8-13+ from the MacArthur Fellows Program.

And for grades 3-12, "Mapping Your Identity: A Back-to-School Ice Breaker" activity from Visual Thesaurus that starts with mapping a historical figure...

          

and culminates in self-mapping


It's time to close and post. Here's my closing gift ~ the unsorted and ill-ordered collection of intersectionality and identity links that I collected today. In the end, it still comes down to what Mr. Rogers told us. Enjoy...


Two Writing Teachers host a weekly Tuesday and an annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge  (SOLSC). This is the 11th Annual SOLSC. During March, participants write and share daily blog posts,  and comment on three or more blog posts by other participants. Read today's blog posts here

The challenge is for teachers, mostly K-12 -- emphasis on language arts, but not all of us are. Some are admin, librarians or curricular program directors. Others, like me, are retired. Besides, wouldn't that depend on your define educator? Fed up with being pigeonholed by titles and job descriptions imposed by others, I took advantage of retirement to name myself, define my own category: Guerrilla Educationist and Independent Informationist. 

With such explanatory titles, I shouldn't need to explain that a) I'm unaffiliated and b) I define who I am. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for finally writing about >"#intersectionality is everywhere #sol18" <Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to wrap my head around without turning to identity politics. I suppose the tl;dr version would be: "It's complicated.Everything. Everybody."

      Delete